Monday, July 21, 2008

Joker's Dark Knight performance - Heath Ledger's Legacy or Jack's best wishes?

Just a couple of days after the world screening of the Dark Knight in theaters worldwide, social media and all sort of entertainment media out there are talking about the Joker.
Yes Heath Ledger's version of the Joker in Batman the Dark Knight. IMDB now officially have the DARK KNIGHT as the top 250 films of all time and as so did many other social Movie
websites out there. No joke but to me Ledger's performance in the movie elevated the movie to a whole new level and made it one of the best films I have ever seen for the past 2 decades
Not to mention the action and the screen play was totally awesome. I have never been a fan of CGI induced films and Director C. Nolan delivers the same philosphy once again and
made a big big big hit. The joker was almost the main character of the film and put Batman where he belongs, in the shadows.



Speaking of shadows Jack Nicholson furious comments on why he was not tapped to play the next joker got me intrigued.

" MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?

Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.

MTV: It was never brought up?

Nicholson: No. It's like, in any area, you can't believe the reasons things do or don't happen. Not asking me how to do the sequel is that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe it was the right thing, but to be candid, I'm furious.



MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.

Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

(What do you think of Jack's controversial Joker comments? Tell us at the MTV Movies Blog!)

MTV: Will you see the new film?

Nicholson: I'm not inclined to watch it because of what I said. But if it's a good movie, I'll catch up with it somewhere. I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him. We both come from the cartoon world originally. We had similar ideas. Tim said [the Joker] should have a humorous dark side to him. [Burton is] one of the great moviemakers. I think the world of him. He's the most unassuming man. And he doesn't feel pressure. That's what I love about him. Once he's in there, he's smiling making the movie. That's it! "



It was funny though that Heath Ledger has now passed away and maybe the third installment of Nolan's Batman will feature Jack as the Joker.

Yes I can imagine Jack looking at the mirror and having a few foundation and powder on his face, with a red lipstick in his hand.

What are your views?









Heath Ledger as The Joker from The Dark Knight.

This is a still from the HD trailer. Thought it might come in handy for some folks.

Probably worth pointing out that all the rights etc. still belong to Warner Brothers.





0 comments: